First Ever Blog (feels so gay)
 |
| One of us is a champ. |
So, here it is. The first documented thoughts of a champion, a god, a hero or those of a lost individual, who for some unbeknown reason finds himself in the land of little people (or 1 of the many that are kicking around). It is an adventure for myself on two very different levels, with the aim that those two parallel levels converge into one to display some sort of clarity for the road ahead of me. Maybe a bit clichéd, maybe a bit poetic, but hopefully truthful
I find myself in Thailand for the near future with the hope, that, at the end of my trip I am able to develop some much needed focus, which up until now has proven to be an attribute I am currently void of.
I sit here, in a rather warm, but empty room with nothing but my belongings, the smell of warmth and a plethora of investigative ants to keep me company. Most would have used the line "nothing but my thoughts", but that's not me, even if it was remarkably true.
Things I have Learned/Trying to Learn/Improve
 |
German mush |
Photography - A German Traveller friend, who classes himself as a Flickr photographer (his site http://www.flickr.com/photos/sprengben/) has inspired me to try and take photos. Photos with purpose (none of which are displayed in this post as the lesson came after these were shot). He says the most important thing for him is tension. This is not an exact science, but as he views it, he says you should look for several key components for a shot. On a broad and basic level, look for contrast, especially in colours. (Obvious examples are blue skies against green landscapes). Next up, if you are able to, find symmetries in the objects you are shooting, and if needs be, change the level/angle of your shots to get this. Finally, try and aim for small objects within wide shots, get that "eye catcher" moment, this can be anything, but something that stands out from the rest, that will grab your viewers attention. This, by nature, is the artsy shit that I habitually try and veer away from. But I figure I could learn a bit from him. Soooo, I shall make a conscious effort to attempt more shots with "tension" involved.
 |
| Muay Thai Camp |
Muay Thai - This is something I can see myself doing long term, but unfortunately, not as my key passion but more as a take-or-leave hobby. I have spent the last week at Santai Muay Thai, and have realised that I don't have the whole-hearted passion for it. Don't get me wrong, I have learnt more in the last 3/4 days than I have learnt in the years preceding it, but ultimately know that this is not something I feel I can commit to without reservations. I will however train for the next few days and then maybe come back for a tune up before I return to England but it'll be just from the standpoint as a bit of pleasure rather than a potential career.
 |
| Tip, lovely bird. |
Budget Travel - I have been able to be relatively conservative with my money, which I feel is good. I haven't felt like I have prevented myself from doing anything by saying "oh, no, that's far too much". I've just downplayed my first week or so. The most lavish purchases have been my Muay Thai gear, but I know that these are sound investments for my time training down in Phuket in October and beyond. Food has been rather cheap and tasty, which is great. I am missing some little things, mainly surrounding the morning meals. I wouldn't say I am craving, but would love a cheeky cup of tea, toast and even some cereal. All things that are vacant in Thai breakfasts. Muesli and fruit with yoghurt from Tips Fresh Fruit Smoothies makes a very good start to the day however.
To The Future
 |
| Train of Dreams... |
I will remain in Sankampaeng until Wed/Thursday and then return to the Portsmouth of Thailand (Bangkok) via that motherfucker of a train journey. I mean this in the sense that it is overpopulated, chav-ridden and generally and unpleasant place to be. When I get there, I shall meet up with Emma, who herself, has set upon expanding her horizons by travelling a wee bit. With her here, I know I am in for a few heavy binge-sessions. But hilarity and crazy ongoings are synonymous with outings with her. So I am rather excited to meet up with her and travel for a month before she ventures further onto Malaysia and beyond. Seeing a familiar face would be rather pleasant right about now. That's not to say I am missing home, but my natural inclination to be of the introverted kind means meeting people in large groups is somewhat difficult for myself and as such am finding it difficult to bond with "the masses" at any given place I venture.
No comments:
Post a Comment